Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Unicorns and Rainbows and Maybe a few Tears

It's been such a long time. Over five years of my life and it's like not a day has gone by. I see her face through the screen of a computer and I talk to her through the clicking of keys on a keyboard, and if I'm lucky and have a chance to take a breath, I hear her lilting accent through my headphones during a Google chat.

The amazing part? When we talk it's like nothing at all has changed. We're older now, wiser now, and yet still somehow exactly the same as we were that bright sunny day outside of Virgin Records. I have these crazy, beautifully vivid memories of us that play through my head like a slideshow set to music; rap music for me and something a bit more sophisticated for her. Beaches and birthday parties, film sets and back patios. Making lemonade in the sunshine and eating cake in the sand. Always worried about paying bills, but knowing it was us against the world and that we don't give up, we don't back down.

I miss her. I miss her more than I ever thought I could. I miss that for a brief moment in time we were in the same space.

She represents all the parts of me that I try hard to still be: Fierce, frustrating, and utterly extraordinary.

Her birthday is today and since she's thousands of miles from here, these words will have to bridge the gap. She's my constant, and my touchstone. She keeps me honest and makes me a whole person. We can talk about zippers on jackets, what nail polish colors mean, and whether a unicorn's eyes are brown or green, and somehow it all sounds completely normal.

So Happy Birthday to my Avita. I love your face, always.


No comments: