Saturday, December 27, 2008

To Build a Home

Betrayed.

I feel...betrayed.

It has taken me long enough to feel it. First came shock and disbelief, then an overwhelming and heart breaking sadness that took the breath out of my lungs leaving me stinging and bleeding on the inside. Next came acceptance and indifference. After the fifth month, came hope. A renewed spirit to fight, to not give up, to hold on for all that holding on was worth.

The only problem with holding on, is when someone else lets go.

Then came betrayal, so strong that it welled in my gut and rose into the back of my throat. Hurt, anger, fear, pain, all rolled into one strong and life draining emotion.

December 25th, 2008.

Christmas had never been so sad before.

I stayed in, refused to answer the phone, to check email, to venture outside. It was as if I stayed in my room long enough, all of the problems in my world would solve themselves leaving me to just simply be.

And now, I feel it. Betrayal. Had I not bore his children, I might be less upset. Somehow the thought of going through immeasurable pain to bring new life into the world, his life, has left me on fire inside.

"I could stay with you." He offers, as though that were what he really wanted.

Staying or going, our lives had changed and today we made one last attempt to take the pieces and try to form a somewhat recognizable life. If we were working too hard at it, no one felt the need to tell us, just as no one has felt the need to advise us to let go. Stepping into someone else's marriage to offer advice as heavy as staying or going, is not what the general public sets out to do after their morning read of the paper and a cup of coffee with toast.

"So you went hiking. Did it solve anything?" She wrote, seeming genuinely concerned for my mental state.

"I think it solved the uncertainty." I typed the words, taking a moment to fully understand their meaning. "I gave him till morning to change his mind, his heart...though I don't think he will."

I waited a few moments for her to answer, trying to imagine what she was thinking.

"I don't think so." Was her simple reply and I knew she was right.

I wanted him to love me, not just be with me out of some misguided sense of duty. I wanted him to love me in that earth shattering, life altering cross the heavens and the earth for me love and if he didn't have that then I didn't want him. I heard voices echoing in my head that it was childish of me to wish for something so outlandish.

I reminded myself that I had spent my entire life wishing for outlandish things and built my life around making them happen. As a tiny child I would stare at the heavens at night and believe that I was not alone, that thousands of other people were staring at the same heavens, wishing and hoping and searching for the same things. I believed in that love then and I believe in it still.

I had spent years wanting to build a home and so I did. People in the home may grow and change, come then leave, it may not be perfect or always peaceful and it may tire and fill with sadness from time to time but it's mine and it is what I make it. All it takes is turning on a light to chase the shadows back to their corners, enjoying what time I have with those in it and choosing to let happiness replace sadness. It's a conscious choice, to build a home but it's as effortless as breathing because I choose for it to be.

On this night, I choose for my home to be happy, for myself to be happy regardless of anyone else's choice.

6 comments:

Kabat said...

Tiff- I'm crying from your words...

I know "im sorry" from a total stranger doesnt do much but at the moment all i can think of to say is that i am sorry for what u are going through right now.. that and that whatever doesnt kill us only makes us stronger- i know its somewhat cliche and doesnt help when ur looking a very scary reality in the face but im not sure that there is anything else that i can offer... other than that i am overcome with an uncontrollable urge to give u a huge hug right now...

you deserve to be with someone who loves you- who would go to antartica to save u from something that u dont even believe exists- who would give up chasing monsters in the dark for u... u deserve someone who would stand outside with u at night and look up at the stars with u- and then go and get one for u... we all deserve that...

im thinking of u and ur family and hope that u have clarity... and if u ever want a hug (and are in the NY area) let me know...

Kabat

Marie said...

Tiff,

There are no words that I could say that would ease your current situation, and yet I feel compelled to offer you as much of my friendship as you need to see you through. I'd like to say that I've been through time such as you're going through... For me, it was almost cyclical with my husband going back and forth to war... and each time it happened, it never got easy... but we both had to make the conscious decision to move forward together... It took five years for us to catch up with each other, but we are where we are now because we've accepted that love remains the same, and yet love changes, as well... and that's okay.

If it helps, I've learned that I survived the hardest moments in my own life by learning to let it take me where it needed to--sometimes I hit rock bottom, sometimes I made it all the way to the top, and sometimes it sent me back to where I started. All the same, it was when I accepted the fact that wanting something more didn't make it materialize (or disappear) faster.

Just because something seems so far away, so impossible, so hard right now doesn't mean it will stay that way forever. All I can say is that if you are resolved to live a happy life, you will live a happy life--with him or without him. Never let go of that hope you have in love because it exists--different colors, different shapes, different sounds, for different people--but it is love all the same.

I heard someone say once that even places that have been shrouded in darkness for billions of years can be illuminated. Even a stone from the bottom of a river can be used to produce fire. Our present sufferings, no matter how dark, have certainly not continued for billions of years-nor will they linger forever. The sun will definitely rise. I saved this from the e-mail I got... and now I'm hoping this can bring you just a little more light...

Don't give up, Tiff. The offer stands... you have a room out here in paradise if you need a break, so just say the word...

xoxo Marie

Anonymous said...

Im more than a stranger--- Im a face in a crowd of thousands u havent seen.. yet I can feel the pain... can see it for days now...
Yes, u deserve that kind of love... and yes it hurts to see it slip away.
Yes u have a right to cry and shut down... its only a way to understand and be brave.. and find inner strengh...
Tiff, hang in there... Im with you as i said before... Time and space heal... in its own way. Just stand still... let it happen. We are all here with you, I know that. Certain of it.
I´d be on a plane now just to keep u company--- sometimes that helps.. I know it first hand.
The words of your friends keep u company. U are not Alone.
U will get on. U will make it.

Kabat said...

"I heard someone say once that even places that have been shrouded in darkness for billions of years can be illuminated. Even a stone from the bottom of a river can be used to produce fire. Our present sufferings, no matter how dark, have certainly not continued for billions of years-nor will they linger forever. The sun will definitely rise. I saved this from the e-mail I got... and now I'm hoping this can bring you just a little more light..."


Jos- that was really beautiful... thank you so much for psoting that- i know you wrote it for Tiff but it's something that i really need in my life and am pulling great strength from it... thank u so much

Marie said...

Rebecca, I actually wrote that entry, not Joss =).

I'm glad it's helping you right now. I find that I read a lot when I am experiencing my most difficult moments, religious texts have given me much comfort (this idea is derived from Buddhism, for example.)

The writings of the Dalai Lama and Pope John Paul II have helped me through my darkest moments and neither of those two write for just Buddhists or Catholics alone, so I would recommend getting your hands on them if that helps.

Good luck to you.

xoxo Marie

Anonymous said...

Tiff, I don't think I can say anything profound or as beautifully as the above comments, however I am so sorry you're going through this.

Reading it brought tears to my eyes. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers. I hope 2009 brings brighter days and lots of laughter and happiness for you and your boys. :)

Like Kabat, I also want to just give you a big hug.

xoxo <3
~Leslie